Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Special Kind of Mum

I cant exactly remember when was the last time I spent Mothers Day with my Mother. So it was indeed a special day last Sunday, May 11th when I finally got to do this once again.

Down in Australia on business I was able to manage getting some much anticipated time with my family.

There was to be more to this Mothers Day than I had expected. My Mum being the Mum she is, surprised me by organising an impromptu meeting with her fitness class companions.

You see most days my mother gets up before 6am and joins a bunch of fabulous folks to participate in what I would simply express as a fantastic way to start the day.

Under the crisp clear blue autumn skies of the Gold Coast in Australia here I was about to go walking as well as doing exercises around a sports field with a bunch of complete strangers at 6am in the morning.

Each day this small but exclusive group descend on the Robina Common to participate in what is best described as a cross between an Australian version of the Golden Girls and House.

My Mother had proposed that this particular session would conclude in an opportunity for me to promote the Tiger Foundation.I didn't want to miss the chance.

We started the fitness session with self appointed, self titled Staff Sergent Keith filling in the role of usual team leader Jonathan who was absent. Keith impressed with his desire to try to bring some kind of order to the group.

It quickly became obvious to me that Keith despite his efforts to tire the group quickly with repetitive push up orders was not going to win this battle.

It wasn't long into the session (maybe 2 Min's) that any signs of the evenings sleep and drowsiness was replaced by witty comments directed at any unlikely suspect among the group.

I thought it was impossible to be so alert and witty at this time of the day. I was very quickly proved wrong, again I heard another wise crack resulting in a direct hit on its intended victim.

I was now breathing awkwardly, half my breath was dispelling air through laughter the other half busy to get oxygen into my lungs to do the next command thrown out by Keith.

As the sun started to rise on the horizon the beauty of this moment finally hit me. Here I was on this crisp and beautiful morning sharing with my wonderful mum one of her hobbies. It was tremendous.

As we all moved around the sports ground, twisting, bending, lunging I suddenly realized that some of the groups lips were getting a fearsome workout compared to the reest of their bodies.

Initially I wasn't sure that this witfeast was just put on for me, but I soon discounted that thought, this goes on everyday no matter who is around.

After an hour of what one could only describe as an hilarous gyrating circumnavigation of the park it was time for refreshments. Yes the order was now to proceed to the local coffee shop for phase two of the workout.

It then came as no great surprise that upon arrival at the cafe the banter continued, in fact now that everybodies breathing was some what stable (all but mine that was) the banter moved to another level.

Yes I got to speak about the Tiger Foundation, as expected these wonderful folk all put up their hands to help us out in some way. On the spot donations have already generated enough funds to purchase a Well cover for the Aknuwat School, a fantastic contribution.

I knew after I left that day that this wouldnt be the last I hear from this bunch. You see, when great people get involved, great things happen. It's a fact of life.

I would like to thank my Mum for taking me along and allowing me to participate in what was a very special moment......imagine whats going on in your neighborhood while your fast asleep early in the morning?

Get out and check it out, you never know how you could help the Tiger Foundation.

Thanks Mum.








No comments: